This chicken breast with feta and artichoke is a life-saving weeknight dinner recipe. For those times when it seems like there aren’t enough hours in the day between work, family, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, this recipe simply requires whipping up a quick marinade the night before, then dinner is on the table the very next evening in under 20 minutes. With my full-time job, dishes like these are mandatory. This particular recipe makes eight servings — perfect if you’re cooking for the whole family or for a week’s worth of protein for yourself.
Chicken breast is just so versatile, isn’t it? So much can be done with this popular protein, and marinating it in tart yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, and spices not only steeps it in brilliant flavors, but it also tenderizes the chicken for a juicy and delicious main course. Though the marinade is technically enough to finish off this dish, and this adds an extra punch of fiber and nutrients with a savory compote of sun-dried tomatoes and artichokes. It’s topped with feta cheese to tie together all of the Mediterranean flavors.
Chicken Breast with Feta and Artichoke
Total Time: 1 hr. 28 min.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 18 min.
Yield: 8 servings
1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano, divided use
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley, divided use
1½ tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. ground black pepper
8 (4-oz. each) raw chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
1 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 5 oz.)
1 medium tomato, chopped
½ cup canned artichoke hearts, packed in water, drained
½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped, reconstituted in hot water for 10
Nonstick cooking spray
1. Combine yogurt, garlic, 2 Tbsp. oregano, 1 Tbsp. parsley, lemon juice, and pepper in a medium bowl; whisk to blend.
2. Place chicken in a glass dish. Top with yogurt mixture. Marinate in the refrigerator, covered, turning once, for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
3. Preheat grill or broiler on high.
4. Combine cheese, tomato, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, remaining 1 Tbsp.oregano, and 1 remaining Tbsp. parsley in a large bowl; mix well. Set aside.
5. Grill or broil chicken for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in the middle. Set aside.
6. Heat oven 350° F.
7. Place chicken on a baking pan lightly coated with spray. Top each piece with 1 rounded Tbsp. of cheese mixture. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the cheese is lightly browned.
1/2 green 1 red and 1/2 blue