Summer is best served with a side of citrus;
This recipe for lemon-garlic chicken thighs is a terrific way to eat protein when the weather is warm and you’re feeling like something substantial yet light. Ideal for an al fresco dinner party on a hot summer night, I can picture the scene now: Several of my closest friends seated comfortably at a table on my back patio illuminated by bistro lights. They casually sip rosé and chat until I materialize from the kitchen carrying a piping hot pan of this aromatic chicken.
But enough about my personal aspirations that I’m sure you were dying to hear. This lemon-garlic chicken recipe is an easy-to-make crowd pleaser that goes well with virtually any side.
I love pairing citrus-focused foods with richer trimmings such as mashed potatoes, a kale salad, or a creamy risotto (if you’re having a cheat day, of course).
Round it out with a simple salad of arugula, goat cheese and walnuts, or your favorite version of roughage, and you’ve got yourself a dynamite dinner for eight.
If you end up making this, I’m definitely inviting myself over. Don’t worry, I’ll bring wine.
Total Time: 1 hr. 40 min.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 30 min.
Yield: 8 servings
½ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup raw honey (or pure maple syrup)
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 lbs. raw chicken thighs, boneless, skinless (about 8 thighs)
Nonstick cooking spray
½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
½ tsp. ground black pepper
Lemon wedges (for garnish; optional)
Fresh parsley sprigs (for garnish; optional)
1. Combine lemon juice, honey, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic in a nonreactive dish. Add chicken; cover and marinate, in refrigerator, for 1 hour, turning occasionally.
2. Preheat oven to 425° F.
3. Remove chicken from dish, reserving marinade. Arrange in a shallow baking pan lightly coated with spray.
4. Pour reserved marinade over chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Bake, basting the first 20 minutes with marinade, for 20 to 30 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle and juices run clear. Discard any leftover marinade.
6. Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley if desired.
photos and info courtesy of beachbody