This craveable chili recipe is lighter than traditional chili, and not just in color. It features creamy white beans and tender chunks of chicken in a flavorful broth and hints at the fresh flavors of spring with juicy red bell peppers and aromatic cilantro. It’s lightly spiced with cumin and chili powder and mild, roasted green chilies. Instead of high-calorie cheese this Chicken and White Bean Chili is topped with a dollop of Greek yogurt.
Chicken and White Bean Chili
Total Time: 1 hr.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 45 min.
Yield: 6 servings, about 1½ cups each
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
2¼ cups raw cubed chicken breast (about 12 oz.)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
4 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
2 cans (15-oz. each) cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
1½ tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
½ tsp. ground black pepper
1 (4-oz.) can roasted green chiles
Coarsely chopped cilantro (for garnish; optional)
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add onions and bell pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
3. Add chicken; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until no longer pink.
4. Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
5. Add broth, beans, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and chiles. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes.
6. Divide chili into 6 serving bowls; garnish with cilantro if desired.